Project: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence – BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
Announcement: Group Leader full-time fixed-term position available within research area of drug delivery systems for bone tissue regeneration.
Location of the position:
Rīga Stradiņš University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities:
The position includes participation in short-term (up to 14 days) and/ or long-term (up to 6 months) training visits in world leading research centres within the consortium – AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Yearly meetings, summer schools and symposia of the complete consortium are also foreseen.
Starting date is negotiable, but tentatively between September and December 2020.
Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) is the leading academic and research institution in the field of medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, rehabilitation, and nursing sciences in Latvia. It is ranked among top 1000 universities in the world, with the highest rating in international student ratio and academic reputation. The University has close affiliation with leading hospitals in Latvia, and about a quarter of all the students (currently more than 2100 international students) come from more than 50 countries. RSU uses a modern quality improvement approach to ensure high study and research quality. The priority research areas are different fields of clinical medicine, as well as biomedicine, rehabilitation and public health. RSU Faculty of Pharmacy is currently running a project to set up a new Finished Dosage Form (FDF) Laboratory to promote research in pharmaceutical technology. It is planned that the lab will be set up in 2022 and it will gradually expand its research area from oral solid dosage forms to biomaterials as drug delivery systems. Within the BBCE project, the FDF lab will be involved in research on carrier particles, kinetics of active molecule release and stability of drug delivery systems, as well as material characterization, processing, and quality control of the finished products.
The scientific and formative challenge of the BBCE project:
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently, there is one Group Leader position available in research of drug delivery systems for bone regeneration with focus on kinetics and stability of drug delivery systems (BBCE Research Group 4).
Outline of the position:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls to apply for a Group Leader full-time position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will have an opportunity to lead the research group, consisting of the Group Leader/ leading researcher and at least one Postdoc and one PhD student established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
Employment terms and benefits:
For the Group Leader position, initially 2 year full-time contract (40 working hours per week) will be offered, with option for following extension of the contract for up to 4 years, foreseeing a part-time contract (gradually decreasing working hours per week from year 3 to year 6) from BBCE funds. Another part of the remuneration from year 3 to year 6 should be secured by the Group Leader from external funds attracted. The Group Leader will undergo yearly performance assessment related to his/ her research activities and duties (criteria will include: e.g. scientific papers published, patents, competitive funding applications submitted and competitive funding attracted, progress of the group members, technology transfer activities performed, supervision/ co-supervision of Bachelor/ Master/ PhD thesis, involvement in teaching activities, new international connections established). Initial 2-year contract involves full-time job with 40 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €39.000 – €41.000. The annual gross salary will be subject to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/).
Eligibility criteria (requirements and necessary competences):
The Group Leader position is open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- PhD in life sciences, medicine, pharmacy or material sciences with at least 5 years of experience in the field (at least 3 years of experience as research scientist).
- Established scientific record in at least one of the following research directions: drug delivery systems, kinetics of active substance release/ pharmacokinetics, carrier particles, stability studies and/ or biomaterials.
- Publications in international peer-reviewed journals in the relevant scientific field (first and last authorship and impact of the publications will be taken into account during the evaluation stage).
- Experience on supervision (bachelor, master, PhD students and PostDocs).
- Demonstration of extra-mural funding acquisition (participation in projects, role in the projects, competitive/ contract funding attracted).
- Managerial skills.
- Demonstration of 6-year strategic development plan of the research group (up to 4 pages, including measurable outcomes).
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at least B2 level).
- Good communication skills and ability to cooperate with other professions.
- Team working skills.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Runs highly autonomously own projects with high complexity.
- Fully responsible for these projects.
- Fully responsible for special field or area.
- Responsible for PostDocs/ PhD students/ Fellows and his/ her group performance.
- Reports to BBCE core partner (RSU) and project coordinator (RTU).
- Creates new international connections outside the BBCE network.
- Participates in attracting competitive/ contract funding.
- Participates in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students, PhD and/ or PostDocs.
- Participates in BBCE organized trainings and networking events.
- Participates in the teaching activities of students.
- Makes a positive contribution to the development of knowledge, research and development through cooperation and collaboration.
- Demonstrates effective team work and leadership/ mentoring capability, effectively leads and motivates the research group.
- Identifies research problems and opportunities within his/ her area of expertise.
- Identifies appropriate research methodologies and approaches.
- Conducts research independently, which advances a research agenda.
- Leadership in executing collaborative research projects in cooperation with colleagues and project partners.
- Publishes papers as lead author, organises workshops or conference sessions.
- Has an international reputation based on research excellence in his/ her field.
- Demonstrates critical judgment in the identification and execution of research activities.
- Makes a substantial contribution (breakthroughs) to his/ her research field or spanning multiple areas.
- Develops a strategic vision on the future of the research field.
- Recognises the broader implications and applications of his/ her research.
- Publishes and presents influential papers and books, serves on workshop and conference organising committees and delivers invited talks.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with relevant industry research or development groups.
- Is innovative in the approach to research.
- Can form research consortia and secure research funding.
- Is committed to professional development of his/ her own career and acts as mentor for others.
- Is skilled at managing and developing others.
- Has a proven record in securing and managing significant research funding and other resources.
- Beyond team building and collaboration, focusing on long-term team planning (e.g. career paths for the researchers and securing funding for the team positions).
- Is an excellent communicator and networker within and outside the research community (creating networks).
- Is able to create an innovative and creative environment for research.
- Acts as a professional development role model for others.
Selection process for the Group Leader position:
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned Group Leader position. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max 10 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraphs above. Statement that the applicant is eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter as well.
- 6-year strategic development plan of the research group (up to 4 pages, including measurable outcomes).
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Recommendation letters (at least two, where one is issued by last/ current employer).
- Copies of 3 selected best scientific publications.
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 31, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information, please contact email@example.com and visit https://bbcentre.eu and https://www.rsu.lv/en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps. The first step will consist of the screening of all applications received and the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation, strategic development plan and relevance with the specific research project. The second step will consist of an interview (held in person or online via Skype/ Zoom), resulting in the recruitment of the successful candidate. Prior to recruitment, the successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for the position, the candidate agrees to the processing of his/ her personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at Rīga Stradiņš University. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://www.archkck.org/ministries--offices/pro-life/brick-by-brick/team-leader /