PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND OUTLINE OF THE POSITION
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for application of 1 fully funded Group leader position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will have an opportunity to lead the research group (consisting of at least one PhD student and one Postdoc) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
Location of the position
Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovations and Development Centre of Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities
The position includes participation in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 6 months) training visits in world leading research centers within the BBCE network - AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Yearly meetings (summer schools and symposia) of the complete network are also foreseen.
Starting date is negotiable but tentatively between May and June 2021.
BBCE coordinating institution - Riga Technical University (RTU) is one of the oldest institutions of higher technical education in Eastern Europe. RTU gathers more than 16000 students, staff of 611 people for research and 572 for teaching, currently is the top 1 University in Latvia in terms of scientific potential and it is ranked among the top 651–700 Universities worldwide. Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of RTU (RTU RBIDC) is the biggest and the most modern biomaterial research centre in the Baltic States. RTU RBIDC research team consists of 30 scientists with background in chemistry, chemical engineering and materials science. The main areas of RTU RBIDC research activities include training and research on synthesis of calcium phosphates, preparation of inorganic/organic composite materials, bone cements, and upscaling of chemical engineering processes for bone regeneration purposes. Additional research fields include drug/ion delivery systems and nanostructured implant composites with drug eluting properties. The biomaterials developed at RTU RBIDC have been tested in clinical practice for more than 15 years in more than 400 patient cases.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
AVAILABLE RESEARCH DIRECTION
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there is 1 Group Leader position available in development of biomaterials for bone regeneration, more specifically development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials as well as composites and drug delivery systems for bone regeneration, with the following envisaged research group and topic:
- Group 2 – Drug/ion/cell delivery (controlled drug delivery systems for bone regeneration - local drug, biopharmaceutics and functional ions, cell delivery systems (antimicrobials, bisphosphonates, growth factors, anti-inflammatory agents, functional ions and combinations of drugs/ions etc.).
1 Group Leader position available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Runs highly autonomously own projects with high complexity.
- Fully responsible for these projects incl. Budget.
- Fully responsible for special field or area.
- Responsible for the group performance.
- Reports to Direction Leader.
- Creates new international connections outside the BBCE network.
- Attracts competitive/contract funding starting from the 3rd year of contract (at least 50 000 EUR/yearly).
- Participates in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students, PhD, Postdocs.
- Participation in BBCE organized trainings and networking events.
- Participates in the teaching activities of students
- Makes a positive contribution to the development of knowledge, research and development through cooperation and collaborations.
- Demonstrates effective team work and the leadership/mentoring capability to effectively lead and motivate a research group.
- Identifies research problems and opportunities within their area of expertise.
- Identifies appropriate research methodologies and approaches.
- Conducts research independently which advances a research agenda.
- Can take the lead in executing collaborative research projects in cooperation with colleagues and project partners.
- Publishes papers as lead author, organises workshop or conference sessions.
- Has an international reputation based on research excellence in their field.
- Demonstrates critical judgment in the identification and execution of research activities.
- Makes a substantial contribution (breakthroughs) to their research field or spanning multiple areas.
- Develops a strategic vision on the future of the research field.
- Recognises the broader implications and applications of their research.
- Publishes and presents influential papers and books, serves on workshop and conference organising committees and delivers invited talks.
- Established collaborative relationships with relevant industry research or development groups.
- Is innovative in their approach to research.
- Can form research consortia and secure research funding / budgets / resources from research councils or industry.
- Is committed to professional development of their career and acts as mentor for others.
- Is skilled at managing and developing others.
- Has a proven record in securing and managing significant research, funding / budgets / resources.
- Beyond team building and collaboration, focusing on long-term team planning (e.g. career paths for the researchers and securing funding for the team positions).
- Are an excellent communicator and networker within and outside the research community (creating networks).
- Is able to create an innovative and creative environment for research.
- Acts as a professional development role model for others.
- Have excellent/good oral and written Latvian language skills.
BENEFITS, ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA, SELECTION PROCESS
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS
Initially 2-year full time contract (40 working hours per week) will be offered, with following renewal of a contract for another 3 years, foreseeing part time contract (gradually decreasing from 34 to 13 working hours per week in years 3rd to 5th, respectively) from BBCE funds. Another part of the salary (in years 3rd to 5th) should be secured by the Group Leader from another funds attracted. Group Leaders will undergo yearly performance assessment (e.g. papers and patents published, competitive funding applications submitted and funding attracted, progress of group members, technology transfer activities performed, supervision/co-supervision of student Thesis, involvement in teaching activities, new international connections established). Initial 2-year contract involves full time job with 40 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €39.000 – €41.000. The Group Leader annual gross salary will be subject to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations. Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences)
- Excellent/good oral and written Latvian language skills.
- PhD with minimum 5 years of experience in the field.
- At least 15 publications in the field.
- Experience on supervision.
- Demonstration of extra-mural funding acquisition.
- Managerial skills.
- Demonstration of 6 year strategic development plan of the group.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Experience in organic chemistry or biochemistry will be considered as an advantage.
- Experience in team work.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR GROUP LEADER:
The application must include:
- CV in English (Europass format, max 10 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages).
- 5-year strategic development plan of the group (up to 4 pages, including measurable outcomes).
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two, where one is issued by last/current employer).
- Copies of 3 selected best scientific publications.
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before May 3rd, 2021 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (email@example.com) and visit https://bbcentre.eu/news and http://vkti.rtu.lv/en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation, strategic development plan and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype), at the end of which successful candidates will be recruited.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Riga Technical University Personnel Department. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://asiainc500.com/5-cs-to-become-a-successful-team-leader/ /