PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT: A Group Leader part-time position available within research area of personalized patient specific implants for bone tissue regeneration.
LOCATION OF THE POSITION:
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. Riga, Latvia.
INTERNATIONAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES:
The position include participation in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 2 months) training visits in world leading research centres within the network - AO Research Institute Davos and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
starting date is negotiable but tentatively between October and December 2020.
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. (RSU Institute of Stomatology) is a commercial subsidiary company of Rīga Stradiņš University. RSU Institute of Stomatology is modern dental clinic where all fields of dentistry are represented. RSU Institute of Stomatology besides clinical work also provides clinical classes for RSU dentistry students as well as medical and radiological records as a material for researches. BBCE will provide a full cycle of biomaterial development, from a laboratory concept to clinical application, focusing on new materials for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas. RSU Institute of Stomatology is a host for clinical approbation of the developed biomaterials implemented in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, implantology and periodontology. Meanwhile, medical and technical specialists will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge, the study environment will be upgraded and training of young specialists will be improved, including improved therapy process planning and modelling skills by using 3D technologies.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT:
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there is one Group Leader part-time position available in development of patient specific personalized implants for bone regeneration
OUTLINE OF THE POSITION:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of a group leader part-time position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will have an opportunity to lead the research group (group consist of project writer, at least one PhD student, one Postdoc, one Bachelor/Master student, one medical engineer and two technicians) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS:
For Group Leader`s position initially two-year part-time contract (20 working hours per week) will be offered, with following renewal of a contract for another 4 years from BBCE funds. Group Leader will undergo yearly performance assessment related to his/her research activities and duties (criteria will include: e.g. papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and competitive funding attracted, progress of group members, supervision/co-supervision of Bachelor/Master/PhD thesis, involvement in teaching activities, new international connections established).
Initial 2-year contract involves part time job with 20 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €19.000 – €21.000. The annual gross salary will be subject to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/).
Bonus payments for awarded and managed public and private competitive projects.
Funding for accommodation in Riga and transport to and from the country of residence up to 6000 EUR per year.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences):
The Group Leader`s position is open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- Doctor's degree in medicine (MD) or dentistry (DDS) with minimum 5 years of experience in the field. PhD in Medicine will be an advantage.
- At least 5 publications.
- Participation in projects, role in the projects, competitive/contract funding attracted.
- Managerial skills.
- Demonstration of 6-year strategic development plan of the group (up to 4 pages).
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Good communication skills.
- Team working skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Runs highly autonomously own projects with high complexity.
- Responsible for Postdocs/PhD-students/Fellows and his group performance.
- Reports to BBCE core partner RSU IS coordinator.
- Creates new international connections outside the BBCE network.
- Participates in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with general public.
- Participates in BBCE organized trainings and networking events.
- Participates in the teaching activities of students.
- Makes a positive contribution to the development of knowledge, research and development through cooperation and collaboration.
- Demonstrates effective team work and leadership/mentoring capability, effectively leads and motivates a research group.
- Leadership in executing collaborative research projects in cooperation with colleagues and project partners.
- Publishes papers as lead author, organises workshops or conference sessions.
- Develops a strategic vision on the future of the research field.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with relevant industry research or development groups.
- Is committed to professional development of his/her own career and acts as mentor for others.
- Beyond team building and collaboration, focusing on long-term team planning (e.g. career paths for the researchers and securing funding for the team positions).
- Is able to create an innovative and creative environment for research.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR GROUP LEADER POSITION:
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned Group Leader position. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max 10 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraphs above. Also, the statement that applicant is eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- 6-year strategic development plan of the group (up to 4 pages, including measurable outcomes).
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two, where one is issued by last/current employer).
- Copies of 3 selected best scientific publications.
### All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before September 30th, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. med. Ilze Salma (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit https://bbcentre.eu
The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype), then successful candidate will be recruited. Prior to recruitment, successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Insitute of Stomatology. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://contentforcoaches.com/leading-beyond-your-authority/ /