PROJECT: M.ERA-NET 2 Project: Bioactive injectable hydrogels for soft tissue regeneration after reconstructive maxillofacial surgeries” “INJECT-BIO”, No. ES RTD/2020/14 and EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND OUTLINE OF THE POSITIONS
The INJECT-BIO project, funded by Government by Latvia (M.ERA-NET 2 Call 2019) and BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of one fully funded Postdoc position, with attractive complementary training activities and multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. The successful candidates will learn how to perform liposome and hydrogel biomaterial development and how to write high impact original research and review articles. Also training on research metrics and ethics, quality system, experimental planning, entrepreneurship skills, intellectual property strategy development at early stage biomaterials research, translational research and exploitation of the research results will be available (mentor and contact person: Assist. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Arita Dubnika (firstname.lastname@example.org)).
Location of the positions
Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovations and Development Centre of Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities
The positions include participations in short-term (up to 14 days) training visits in world leading research centers within the network – Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Israel, Marmara University, Turkey, Tomas Bata University in Zlin, Czech Republic, AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Yearly meetings (summer schools and symposia) in both projects are also foreseen.
starting date is negotiable but tentatively between May and June 2022.
Riga Technical University (RTU) is one of the oldest institutions of higher technical education in Eastern Europe. RTU gathers more than 16000 students, staff of 611 people for research and 572 for teaching, currently is the top 1 University in Latvia in terms of scientific potential and it is ranked among the top 651–700 Universities worldwide. Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of RTU (RTU RBIDC) is the biggest and the most modern biomaterial research centre in the Baltic States. RTU RBIDC research team consists of 30 scientists with background in chemistry, chemical engineering and materials science. The main areas of RTU RBIDC research activities include training and research on synthesis of calcium phosphates, preparation of inorganic/organic composite materials, bone cements, and upscaling of chemical engineering processes for bone regeneration purposes. Additional research fields include drug/ion delivery systems and nanostructured implant composites with drug eluting properties. The biomaterials developed at RTU RBIDC have been tested in clinical practice for more than 15 years in more than 400 patient cases.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
AVAILABLE RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
Within the scope of INJECT-BIO and BBCE projects currently there is 1 Postdoc research position available in development of liposomal delivery systems and injectable hydrogels for tissue regeneration, more specifically development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials as well as composites and drug delivery systems, with the following envisaged research group and topic: 1.Group 3 – Materials in vitro (cellular responses, fundamental mechanisms that govern cell-biomaterial and cell-cell interactions, novel materials for tissue regeneration and their in vitro behaviour). 1 PostDoc position available.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS
Postdocs will undergo yearly performance assessment related to their research activities (including: e.g. participation in INJECT-BIO project partner meetings and progress reports, BBCE training programmes, papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and funding attracted, supervision of students, technology transfer activities performed). Initially, a 1-year contract will be offered with a potential renewal for another 1-2 years. Contract involves full time job that involves working on both projects part time with 40 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €27.000 – €29.000. The Postdoc annual gross salary will be subjected to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations. If successful candidates will be eligible for election as scientific personnel of RTU, they will benefit 40 working day vacations annually. Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
- Doctorate degree (PhD) holders, who have not yet established a significant level of independence.
- Applicant should demonstrate a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field (minimum 2 years of experience in the field).
- At least 2 high impact original research articles (minimum 1 as first author).
- Experience on drug/cell delivery system development.
- Experience in implementation of scientific research projects.
- Experience in communication with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise.
- Experience on supervision/co-supervision of First Stage Researchers and students.
- Excellent/good oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Experience in team work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Responsible for the tasks in complex projects in close collaboration with Mentor / Direction leader.
- Participates in the national/international project proposal preparation.
- To explain the outcome of the research and summarize them in to the high impact scientific publications. It is expected to produce a minimum of 2 BBCE and responsible core institution affiliated publications (at least 1 first author) within 2 year period.
- Yearly participate in INJECT-BIO project meetings, BBCE organized training seminars, summer schools and at least 1 international scientific conference.
- Participate in INJECT-BIO and BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with the general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students.
- Participation in the teaching activities of students.
- Ability to independently carry out research and produce data under supervision.
- Have the ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and discipline.
- Be capable of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- Be able to explain the outcome of research and value thereof to research colleagues.
- Has demonstrated a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field.
- Has made a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge by developing a substantial body of work, innovation or application. This could merit national or international refereed publication or patent.
- Can communicate with their peers - be able to explain the outcome of their research and value thereof to the research community.
- Takes ownership for and manages own career progression, sets realistic and achievable career goals, identifies and develops ways to improve employability.
- Understands the agenda of industry and other related employment sectors.
- Understands the value of their research work in the context of products and services from industry and other related employment sectors.
- Can communicate with the wider community and with society generally, about their areas of expertise.
- Can be expected to promote, within professional contexts, technological, social or cultural advancement in a knowledge based society.
- Can mentor First Stage Researchers, helping them to be more effective and successful in their R&D trajectory.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR POSTDOC
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned Postdoc position. The application must include:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max. 2 pages, indicating their motivation to carry out research on drug/cell delivery system development and in vitro analysis of biomaterials. Also the statement that applicant are eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included.
- Degree transcript (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before March 21st, 2022 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assist. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Arita Dubnika (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit https://bbcentre.eu and http://vkti.rtu.lv/en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype/Zoom), at the end of which successful candidate will be recruited.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Riga Technical University Personnel Department. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.