PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Leading researcher part - time position available within research area of personalized patient specific implants for bone tissue regeneration.
LOCATION OF THE POSITION:
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. Riga, Latvia.
INTERNATIONAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES:
The position include participation in short-term (up to 14 days) training visits in world leading research centres within the network - AO Research Institute Davos and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
POSITION STARTS: starting date is negotiable but tentatively between September and December 2020.
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. (RSU Institute of Stomatology) is a commercial subsidiary company of Rīga Stradiņš University. RSU Institute of Stomatology is modern dental clinic where all fields of dentistry are represented. RSU Institute of Stomatology besides clinical work also provides clinical classes for RSU dentistry students as well as medical and radiological records as a material for researches. Approximately 12000 patients visit RSU Institute of Stomatology every month. On average 70 of them receive various biomaterials, bone substitute granules and bone tissue implants in the maxillofacial area. Demand for this type of surgery is driven by the increased life expectancy of society and higher demand for quality of life and aesthetics. Modern medical materials and technologies allow the implantation of dental prosthetics and implants having much higher functional and aesthetic qualities and prevents various maxillofacial pathologies or consequences in the event of severe diseases or trauma. BBCE will provide a full cycle of biomaterial development, from a laboratory concept to clinical application, focusing on new materials for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas. This way the accessibility for patients of modern medical services will improve. RSU Institute of Stomatology is a host for clinical approbation of the developed biomaterials implemented in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, implantology and periodontology. Meanwhile, medical and technical specialists will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge, the study environment will be upgraded and training of young specialists will be improved, including improved therapy process planning and modelling skills by using 3D technologies.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT:
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there is one Leading researcher part-time position available in development of patient specific personalized implants for bone regeneration.
OUTLINE OF THE POSITION:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of one Leading researcher part-time position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will have an opportunity to join the research group (group consist of group leader, leading researcher, at least one PhD student, one Postdoc, one Bachelor/Master student, one medical engineer and two technicians) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS:
For Leading researcher`s position initially two-year part-time contract (20 working hours per week) will be offered, with following renewal of a contract for another 4 years from BBCE funds. Leading researcher will undergo yearly performance assessment related to his/her research activities and duties (criteria will include: e.g. papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and competitive funding attracted, progress of group members). Initial 2-year contract involves part time job with 20 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €18.000 – €20.000. The annual gross salary will be subject to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/). Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences):
The Leading researcher position is open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- PhD in Medicine with minimum 5 years of experience in the field.
- At least 10 scientific publications (first and last authorship as well as the impact of the publications will be taken into account during the evaluation stage).
- Demonstration of extra-mural funding acquisition (participation in projects, role in the projects, competitive/contract funding attracted).
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Good communication skills.
- Team working skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implements the scientific goals set by the research group leader.
- Responsible for special field or area.
- Provides at least 3 international publications annually.
- Creates new international connections outside the BBCE network.
- Attracts competitive/contract funding starting from the 3rd year of contract (at least 40 000 EUR/yearly).
- Participates in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with general public.
- Participates in BBCE organized trainings and networking events.
- Participates in the teaching activities of students.
- Makes a positive contribution to the development of knowledge, research and development through cooperation and collaboration.
- Demonstrates effective team work, leads and motivates a research group.
- Identifies research problems and opportunities within his/her area of expertise.
- Identifies appropriate research methodologies and approaches.
- Publishes papers as Co- author.
- Has an international reputation based on research excellence in his/her field.
- Good communication skills (ability to cooperate with other professions).
- Is innovative in the approach to research.
- Is committed to professional development of his/her own career and acts as mentor for others.
- Is skilled at managing and developing others.
- Has a proven record in securing and managing significant research, funding resources.
- Is an excellent communicator and networker within and outside the research community (creating networks).
- Acts as a professional development role model for others.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR LEADING RESEARCHER:
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned Leading researcher position. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max 10 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraphs above. Also, the statement that applicant is eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two, where one is issued by last/current employer).
- Copies of 3 selected best scientific publications.
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 24, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. med. Ilze Salma (email@example.com) and visit https://bbcentre.eu
The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype), then successful candidate will be recruited. Prior to recruitment, successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Insitute of Stomatology. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.