PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Medical Engineer part-time position available within research area of personalized patient specific implants for bone tissue regeneration.
LOCATION OF THE POSITION:
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. Riga, Latvia.
INTERNATIONAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES:
The position include participations in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 2 months) training visits in world leading research centers within the network - AO Research Institute Davos and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
starting date is negotiable but tentatively between July and September 2020.
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. (RSU Institute of Stomatology) is a commercial subsidiary company of Rīga Stradiņš University. RSU Institute of Stomatology is modern dental clinic where all fields of dentistry are represented. RSU Institute of Stomatology besides clinical work also provides clinical classes for RSU dentistry students as well as medical and radiological records as a material for researches. Approximately 12000 patients visit RSU Institute of Stomatology every month. On average 70 of them receive various biomaterials, bone substitute granules and bone tissue implants in the maxillofacial area. Demand for this type of surgery is driven by the increased life expectancy of society and higher demand for quality of life and aesthetics. Modern medical materials and technologies allow the implantation of dental prosthetics and implants having much higher functional and aesthetic qualities and prevents various maxillofacial pathologies or consequences in the event of severe diseases or trauma. BBCE will provide a full cycle of biomaterial development, from a laboratory concept to clinical application, focusing on new materials for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas. This way the accessibility for patients of modern medical services will improve. RSU Institute of Stomatology is a host for clinical approbation of the developed biomaterials implemented in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, implantology and periodontology. Meanwhile, medical and technical specialists will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge, the study environment will be upgraded and training of young specialists will be improved, including improved therapy process planning and modelling skills by using 3D technologies.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT:
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there is a part-time medical engineer position available in development patient specific personalized implants for bone regeneration.
OUTLINE OF THE POSITION:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications to medical engineer position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will have an opportunity to join the research group (group consist of group leader, project writer, at least one PhD student, one Postdoc and one Bachelor/Master student and two technicians) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS:
For medical engineer`s position initially 3-year part-time contract (20 working hours per week) will be offered, with following renewal of a contract for another 4 years from BBCE funds. Medical engineer will undergo yearly performance assessment related to his/her duties (criteria will include: e.g. participation in papers published, involvement in teaching activities, new international connections established). Initial 3-year contract involves part-time job with 20 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €16.000 – €18.000. The annual gross salary will be subject to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/). Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences):
The medical engineer position is open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- Master`s degree in biomedicine engineering and clinical work experience in the field (more preferable in international environment).
- Excellent skills to work with software: Materialise Simplant, Materialise Mimics, Materialise 3-Matic.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Excellent/good oral and written Latvian language skills will be considered as an advantage.
- Good communication skills.
- Team working skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design patient specific implants (PSI) and surgical guides.
- Manages installation, operation and quality management of 3D printers and post-printing equipment.
- Manages the work of dental technicians.
- Participates in teamwork with physicians to conduct clinical trials.
- Participates in BBCE organized trainings and networking events.
- Ability to work individually (independently) and in a team.
- Ability to acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Ability to identify research problems and opportunities within their area of expertise.
- Ability to argument and persuade others.
- Ability to carry out research and produce data under supervision.
- Publishes papers as co-author.
- Good communication skills (ability to cooperate with other professions).
- Communication with the wider community, and with society generally, about areas of expertise.
- Is innovative in his/her approach to research.
- Has excellent/good oral and written Latvian language skills.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR MEDICAL ENGINEER:
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for above-mentioned Medical Engineer position. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max 5 pages).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraphs above. Also, the statement that applicant is eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Degree transcripts.
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before June 24, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. med. Ilze Salma (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit https://bbcentre.eu
The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype), then the successful candidate will be recruited. Prior to recruitment, successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Insitute of Stomatology. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://nisekochiropractic.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/maintenance-image.jpg /