PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT 3 PostDoc positions available within research area of materials for bone tissue regeneration.
Location of the positions
Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovations and Development Centre of Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities
The positions include participations in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 6 months) training visits in world leading research centers within the network - AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Yearly meetings (summer schools and symposia) of the complete network are also foreseen.
Starting date is negotiable but tentatively between September and December 2020.
BBCE coordinating institution - Riga Technical University (RTU) is one of the oldest institutions of higher technical education in Eastern Europe. RTU gathers more than 16000 students, staff of 611 people for research and 572 for teaching, currently is the top 1 University in Latvia in terms of scientific potential and it is ranked among the top 651–700 Universities worldwide. Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of RTU (RTU RBIDC) is the biggest and the most modern biomaterial research centre in the Baltic States. RTU RBIDC research team consists of 30 scientists with background in chemistry, chemical engineering and materials science. The main areas of RTU RBIDC research activities include training and research on synthesis of calcium phosphates, preparation of inorganic/organic composite materials, bone cements, and upscaling of chemical engineering processes for bone regeneration purposes. Additional research fields include drug/ion delivery systems and nanostructured implant composites with drug eluting properties. The biomaterials developed at RTU RBIDC have been tested in clinical practice for more than 15 years in more than 400 patient cases.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
AVAILABLE RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there are 3 Post-doctoral research positions available in development of biomaterials for bone regeneration, more specifically development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials as well as composites and drug delivery systems for bone regeneration, with the following envisaged research groups and topics:
- Group 1 – Calcium phosphates and composites (calcium phosphate (CaP) nanoparticles, nanosuspensions, granules, bone cements, CaP/biodegradable polymer (e.g. PLA, PCL, hyaluronic acid) composites, gradient materials and hydrogels (CaP/polymer) for bone tissue regeneration. 1 PostDoc position available.
- Group 2 – Drug/ion/cell delivery (controlled drug delivery systems for bone regeneration - local drug, biopharmaceutics and functional ions, cell delivery systems (antimicrobials, bisphosphonates, growth factors, anti-inflammatory agents, functional ions and combinations of drugs/ions etc.). 1 PostDoc position available.
- Group 3 – Materials in vitro (cellular responses, fundamental mechanisms that govern cell-biomaterial and cell-cell interactions, novel materials for bone regeneration and their in vitro behaviour). 1 PostDoc position available.
OUTLINE OF THE POSITIONS
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of 3 fully funded Postdoc positions, with attractive complementary training activities and multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. The successful candidates will learn how to perform full cycle of biomaterial development, how to write high impact original research and review articles, on research metrics and ethics, quality system, experimental planning, entrepreneurship skills, intellectual property strategy development at early stage biomaterials research, on translational research and exploitation of the research results (mentors and contact persons: Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Assoc. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (email@example.com)).
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS
Postdocs will undergo yearly performance assessment related to their research activities (criteria will include: e.g. participation in BBCE training programmes, papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and funding attracted, supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis, technology transfer activities performed). Initially, a 2-year contract will be offered to the Postdocs with a potential renewal for another 1 year. Contract involves full time job with 40 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €27.000 – €29.000. The Postdoc annual gross salary will be subjected to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/). If successful candidates will be eligible for election as scientific personnel of RTU, they will benefit 40 working day vacations annually. Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences)
The 3 Postdoc positions are open to applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- Doctorate degree (PhD) holders, who have not yet established a significant level of independence. This includes also the applicants who will receive their PhD degree until the end of August 2020.
- Applicant should demonstrate a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field (minimum 2 years of experience in the field).
- At least 3 high impact original research articles (minimum 2 as first author).
- Experience in implementation of scientific research projects.
- Experience in communication with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise.
- Experience on supervision/co-supervision of First Stage Researchers and students.
- Excellent/good oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Experience in team work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Responsible for the tasks in complex projects in close collaboration with Group Leader / Direction leader.
- Participates in the national/international project proposal preparation.
- To explain the outcome of the research and summarize them in to the high impact scientific publications. It is expected to produce a minimum of 2 BBCE and responsible core institution affiliated publications (at least 1 first author) within 2 year period.
- Yearly participate in BBCE organized training seminars, summer schools and at least 1 international scientific conference.
- During the Postdoc project participate in at least one up to 6 months long training visit at Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany or AO-Forschungsinstitut Davos (ARI), Switzerland depending on the scientific topic.
- Participate in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with the general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students.
- Participation in the teaching activities of students.
- Ability to independently carry out research and produce data under supervision.
- Have the ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and discipline.
- Be capable of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- Be able to explain the outcome of research and value thereof to research colleagues.
- Has demonstrated a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field.
- Has made a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge by developing a substantial body of work, innovation or application. This could merit national or international refereed publication or patent.
- Can communicate with their peers - be able to explain the outcome of their research and value thereof to the research community.
- Takes ownership for and manages own career progression, sets realistic and achievable career goals, identifies and develops ways to improve employability.
- Understands the agenda of industry and other related employment sectors.
- Understands the value of their research work in the context of products and services from industry and other related employment sectors.
- Can communicate with the wider community, and with society generally, about their areas of expertise.
- Can be expected to promote, within professional contexts, technological, social or cultural advancement in a knowledge based society.
- Can mentor First Stage Researchers, helping them to be more effective and successful in their R&D trajectory.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR POSTDOCS
Candidates are asked to apply on-line max. for two of the above-mentioned Postdoc positions, indicating the 1st and the 2nd priority. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max. 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraph above, indicating envisaged research groups and specifying the 1st and the 2nd priority. Also the statement that applicant are eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 14th, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (email@example.com) and Assoc. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit https://bbcentre.eu and http://vkti.rtu.lv/en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or Skype), at the end of which successful candidates will be recruited. Prior to recruitment, successful applicants will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Riga Technical University Personnel Department. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://www.apiceuropa.com/settore-dellistruzione-in-miglioramento-allinterno-dellunione/ /