PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence – BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Part-time Postdoctoral position is available in the area of preclinical biomaterial evaluation
Location of the position
Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, Riga, Latvia.
Starting date is negotiable, but tentatively November 2021.
Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) is a state research institute specializing in organic chemistry, pharmaceutical research, molecular biology and bioorganic chemistry and is leading drug discovery center in the Baltic countries. Within the BBCE project, Preclinical Biomaterial Evaluation Group (part of the Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology) is responsible for preclinical assessment of biomaterials designed for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of the BBCE project there is a part-time postdoctoral position available for a duration of one year with a possible extension of the contract for up to 3 years in the Preclinical Biomaterial Evaluation Group (BBCE SFG 5).
OUTLINE OF THE POSITION:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls to apply for a part-time post-doctoral position, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidate will be a part of the Preclinical Biomaterial Evaluation Group and will investigate the tissue response to biomaterials intended for use in bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and within multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS
• 10 working hours per week. • International mobility for training purposes (participation in short term trainings delivered by Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany or AO-Forschungsinstitut Davos (ARI), Switzerland). • Participation in the preparation of national/international project proposals. • Supervision or co-supervision of students. • Basic salary EUR 10 400 per year (before tax, see www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/).
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences
The position is open to applicants who meets the following criteria:
- PhD in life sciences, pharmacy or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in handling rodents (mice, rats) and performing in vivo experiments (e.g. PK, BD, ADMET studies).
- A candidate must hold FELASA C certificate.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Ability to carry out the independent research under the BBCE scope and to produce the data without supervision.
- Ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies related to the BBCE scope.
- Capability of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR THE POSITION
The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including a list of publications).
- Motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant meets all eligibility criteria. Statement that the applicant is eligible to apply for a work permit in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Copy of the degree diploma (PhD or equivalent).
- Contacts of at least two references.
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before September 27, 2021 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and visit https://bbcentre.eu and https://www.osi.lv/en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps. The first step will consist of the screening of all applications received and the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation, and relevance with the specific research project. The second step will consist of an interview (held in person or online via Skype/ Zoom), resulting in the recruitment of the successful candidate. Prior to recruitment, the successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect documentation of lack thereof may invalidate the application.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Riga Technical University Personnel Department. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture http://clipart-library.com/clipart/839214.htm/