PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND OUTLINE OF THE POSITIONS
Two Postdoc part-time positions are available within research area of personalized patient specific implants for bone tissue regeneration.
Location of the positions
Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology ltd. Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities
The positions include participation in short-term (up to 14 days) training visits in world leading research centres within the network - AO Research Institute Davos and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
starting date is negotiable but tentatively February/March 2021.
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. (RSU Institute of Stomatology) is a commercial subsidiary company of Rīga Stradiņš University. RSU Institute of Stomatology is modern dental clinic where all fields of dentistry are represented. RSU Institute of Stomatology besides clinical work also provides clinical classes for RSU dentistry students as well as medical and radiological records as a material for researches.
BBCE will provide a full cycle of biomaterial development, from a laboratory concept to clinical application, focusing on new materials for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas. RSU Institute of Stomatology is a host for clinical approbation of the developed biomaterials implemented in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, implantology and periodontology. Meanwhile, medical and technical specialists will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge, the study environment will be upgraded and training of young specialists will be improved, including improved therapy process planning and modelling skills by using 3D technologies
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and LLC Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. Development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems. 2. Preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations. 3. Clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there are two Postdoc researchers’ part-time positions (8 hours per week) available in development of patient specific personalized implants for bone regeneration.
OUTLINE OF THE POSITIONS:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of two Postdoc researchers’ part-time positions, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidates will have an opportunity to join the research group (the group consists of group leader, project writer, two PhD students, two Postdoc, two first stage researchers, one medical engineer and two technicians) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS
The Postdocs will undergo yearly performance assessment related to their research activities (criteria will include: e.g. participation in BBCE training programmes, papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and funding attracted, supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis, technology transfer activities performed). Initially, two-year contract will be offered to the Postdocs with a potential renewal for another 1 year. Contract involves part time job with 8 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €4000- 4.500. The Postdoc annual gross salary will be subjected to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/). Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences
Two Postdoc positions are open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- Doctorate degree (PhD) holders, who have not yet established a significant level of independence. This includes also the applicants who will receive their PhD degree until December 21th 2020.
- Applicant should demonstrate a systematic understanding of the field of study and mastery of research associated with that field.
- At least three high impact original research articles (minimum in two as first author).
- Experience in implementation of scientific research projects.
- Experience in communication with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise.
- Excellent/good oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the tasks in complex projects in close collaboration with Group Leader.
- Participates in the national and international project proposal preparation.
- Explains the outcomes of the research and summarizes them into the high impact scientific publications. It is expected to produce at minimum one BBCE and responsible core institution affiliated publication within two-year-period.
- Yearly participates in BBCE organized training seminars, summer schools and at least one international scientific conference.
- Participates in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with the general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students.
- Ability independently carry out research, and produce data under supervision.
- Ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and disciplines.
- Capability of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- Can communicate with their peers - is able to explain the outcome of their research and value thereof to the research community.
- Takes ownership for and manages own career progression, sets realistic and achievable career goals.
SELECTION PROCESS OF POSTDOCS
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned Postdoc position.
Application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including list of publications).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max. 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraph above. The statement that the applicant is eligible to apply for work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Degree transcripts (PhD).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com before December 21st, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. med. Ilze Salma (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit https://bbcentre.eu
Selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or online), then successful candidate will be recruited.
Prior to recruitment, successful applicant will be requested to produce the original copies of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC .
/credits to the 1st picture https://www.pinterest.com/pin/327918416588234465//