PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Two PhD part-time positions available within research area of personalized patient specific implants for bone tissue regeneration.
LOCATION OF THE POSITION:
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. Riga, Latvia.
INTERNATIONAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES:
The position include participation in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 2 months) training visits in world leading research centres within the network - AO Research Institute Davos and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.
starting date is negotiable but tentatively January - February 2021.
“Rīga Stradiņš University, Institute of Stomatology” ltd. (RSU Institute of Stomatology) is a commercial subsidiary company of Rīga Stradiņš University. RSU Institute of Stomatology is modern dental clinic where all fields of dentistry are represented. RSU Institute of Stomatology besides clinical work also provides clinical praxis for RSU dentistry students as well as medical and radiological records as a material for researches. BBCE will provide a full cycle of biomaterial development, from a laboratory concept to clinical application, focusing on new materials for bone repair, facial reconstruction, oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas. RSU Institute of Stomatology is a host for clinical approbation of the developed biomaterials implemented in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, implantology and periodontology. Meanwhile, medical and technical specialists will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge in the upgraded study environment where training of young specialists includes modern therapy process planning and individual modelling using 3D technologies.
THE SCIENTIFIC AND FORMATIVE CHALLENGE OF THE BBCE PROJECT:
The overall objective of the BBCE is to develop a joint centre for advanced biomaterials development based on the long-term strategic cooperation between Riga Technical University, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis, Rīga Stradiņš University and Ltd. Rīga Stradiņš University Institute of Stomatology, on the one part, and AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, on the other part. Strategic research direction of Baltic Biomaterials Centre of Excellence (BBCE) is development of patient specific personalized solutions for bone regeneration in 3 levels: biomaterial composition, geometry and bioactive compound delivery. Full cycle of biomaterials for bone regeneration development consists of continuous steps: 1. development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials, composites and drug delivery systems; second: preclinical in vitro/in vivo investigations; and third one: clinical trials.
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there are two PhD part-time positions available in development of patient specific personalized implants for bone regeneration.
OUTLINE OF THE POSITION:
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of two PhD part-time positions, with attractive complementary training activities in multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. Successful candidates will have an opportunity to join the research group (group consists of project writer, at least one PhD student, one Postdoc, one Master student, one medical engineer and two dental technicians) established within the BBCE and be a part of multidisciplinary and international scientific network.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS:
For PhD students the part time contract in the length of study program will be offered with the obligation to defend the PhD thesis. PhD students will undergo yearly performance assessment related to their research and study activities (criteria will include: e.g. exams successfully passed, participation in BBCE training programmes, papers published, co-supervising of bachelor and master thesis, assisting in teaching). Initially, a 3-year contract will be offered to the PhD student with a potential renewal for another 1 year. Contract involves part time job with 20 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €9.000 – €10.000. The PhD annual gross salary will be subjected to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following national regulations (https://www.fm.gov.lv/en/s/taxes/). Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (requirements and necessary competences):
The PhD positions are open for applicants of all nationalities fulfilling the following eligibility requirements:
- Doctor's degree in medicine (MD) or dentistry (DDS).
- The candidate must study in PhD program in Medicine. The topic of planned PhD thesis must be compliant with the scientific topic of the research group.
- Doctoral studies in Medicine in Rīga Stradiņš University will be an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Ability to carry out the independent research under the BBCE scope and to produce the data under supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applicant should successfully pass the exams of PhD Program and defend PhD thesis.
- Applicant should be able to explain outcomes of the research and summarize them into the high impact scientific publications. Each year 1 high impact scientific publication should be submitted and published.
- Applicant should yearly participate in BBCE organized training seminars, summer schools of high impact scientific writing organized at Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany and at least in one international scientific conference.
- During the Doctoral Program applicant should participate in at least one up to two-months long training visit to AO-Forschungsinstitut Davos (ARI), Switzerland, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany or other project partners depending on the scientific topic.
- Ability to carry out research under supervision.
- Ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and discipline.
- Deep understanding of the study field.
- Ability to produce data under supervision.
- Capability of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR PhD STUDENTS POSITIONS:
Candidates are asked to apply on-line for the above-mentioned PhD position. The application must include the following:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including list of publications (if any)).
- Copy of a valid ID document (passport or equivalent).
- A motivation letter in English (max 2 pages), including statement that the applicant fulfils all eligible criteria listed in the paragraph above. The statement that the applicant is eligible to apply for work permission in Latvia should be included in the motivation letter.
- Degree transcripts (MD or DDS).
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
### All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before November 1st, 2020 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. med. Ilze Salma (email@example.com) and visit https://bbcentre.eu
Selection procedure is based on two following steps: the first step includes the screening of all applications received and shortlisting of candidates; selection is based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance to the specific research project. The second step is an interview (in person or online). Then recruitment procedure for successful candidate will follow. Prior to recruitment, successful applicants will be kindly requested to present originals and to submit the copies translated into Latvian of all certificates and documents declared. Incorrect or lacking of documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and for storage at the Insitute of Stomatology. Without the consent of the candidate, personal data will not be transferred to third parties, except in the cases specified in the laws and regulations in force in the Republic of Latvia.
/credits to the 1st picture https://www.freepik.com/premium-vector/action-character-doctor-cute_4571277.htm /