PROJECT: EU Horizon 2020 Teaming Phase 2 project: "Baltic Biomaterials Centre of excellence - BBCE" grant agreement No. 857287.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND OUTLINE OF THE POSITIONS
The BBCE project, funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 programme (WIDESPREAD-01-2018-2019: Teaming Phase 2) calls for applications of 3 fully funded Postdoc positions, with attractive complementary training activities and multidisciplinary and international scientific environment. The successful candidates will learn how to perform full cycle of biomaterial development, how to write high impact original research and review articles, on research metrics and ethics, quality system, experimental planning, entrepreneurship skills, intellectual property strategy development at early stage biomaterials research, on translational research and exploitation of the research results (mentors and contact persons: Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assoc. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (email@example.com) and Assist. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Arita Dubnika (firstname.lastname@example.org)).
Location of the positions
Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovations and Development Centre of Riga Technical University, Riga, Latvia.
International networking opportunities
The positions include participation in short-term (up to 14 days) and/or long-term (up to 6 months) training visits in world leading research centers within the network - AO Research Institute Davos, Switzerland and Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. Yearly meetings (summer schools and symposia) of the complete network are also foreseen.
Starting date is negotiable but tentatively between August and November 2023.
Additional information: For additional information please contact SFG1 Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (email@example.com), SFG2 Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (firstname.lastname@example.org), SFG3 Assist. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Arita Dubnika (email@example.com) and visit https://bbcentre.eu/news/open-positions-bbce-PostDoc and https://vkti.rtu.lv/?lang=en.
BBCE coordinating institution - Riga Technical University (RTU) is one of the oldest institutions of higher technical education in Eastern Europe. RTU gathers more than 16000 students, staff of 611 people for research and 572 for teaching, currently is the top 1 University in Latvia in terms of scientific potential and it is ranked among the top 651–700 Universities worldwide. Rudolfs Cimdins Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of RTU (RTU RBIDC) is the biggest and the most modern biomaterial research centre in the Baltic States. RTU RBIDC research team consists of 50 scientists with background in chemistry, chemical engineering and materials science. The main areas of RTU RBIDC research activities include training and research on synthesis of calcium phosphates, preparation of inorganic/organic composite materials, bone cements, and upscaling of chemical engineering processes for bone regeneration purposes. Additional research fields include drug/ion delivery systems and nanostructured implant composites with drug eluting properties. The biomaterials developed at RTU RBIDC have been tested in clinical practice for more than 15 years in more than 400 patient cases.
AVAILABLE RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
Within the scope of BBCE project currently there are 3 Postdoc research positions available in development of biomaterials for bone regeneration, more specifically development of biodegradable, osteoconductive and osteoinductive materials as well as composites and drug delivery systems for bone regeneration, with the following envisaged research groups and topics:
- Group 1 – Calcium phosphates and composites (calcium phosphate (CaP) nanoparticles, nanosuspensions, granules, bone cements, CaP/biodegradable polymer (e.g. PLA, PCL, hyaluronic acid) composites, gradient materials and hydrogels (CaP/polymer) for bone tissue regeneration. 1 Postdoc position available on topic: “3D printing and characterisation of calcium phosphate-based biomaterials”.
- Group 2– Drug/ion/cell delivery (controlled drug delivery systems for bone regeneration - local drug, biopharmaceutics and functional ions, cell delivery systems (antimicrobials, bisphosphonates, growth factors, anti-inflammatory agents, functional ions and combinations of drugs/ions etc.). 1 Postdoc position available on topic: “Hydrogels for drug/ion/cell delivery”.
- Group 3 – Drug/ion/cell delivery (controlled drug delivery systems for bone regeneration - local drug, biopharmaceutics and functional ions, cell delivery systems (antimicrobials, bisphosphonates, growth factors, anti-inflammatory agents, functional ions and combinations of drugs/ions etc.). 1 Postdoc position available on topic: “In vitro evaluation of cell-biomaterial interactions using various assays and imaging technologies”.
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Responsible for the tasks in complex projects in close collaboration with Group Leader / Direction leader.
- Participates in the national/international project proposal preparation.
- To explain the outcome of the research and summarize them in to the high impact scientific publications. It is expected to produce a minimum of 2 BBCE and responsible core institution affiliated publications (at least 1 first author) within 2 year period.
- Yearly participate in BBCE organized training seminars, summer schools and at least 1 international scientific conference.
- During the Postdoc project participate in at least one up to 6 months long training visit at Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany or AO-Forschungsinstitut Davos (ARI), Switzerland depending on the scientific topic.
- Participate in BBCE communication, dissemination and outreach activities with the researchers as well as with the general public.
- Supervision or co-supervision of students.
- Participation in the teaching activities of students.
- Ability to independently carry out research and produce data under supervision.
- Have the ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and discipline.
- Be capable of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas.
- Be able to explain the outcome of research and value thereof to research colleagues.
- Has demonstrated a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field.
- Has made a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge by developing a substantial body of work, innovation or application. This could merit national or international refereed publication or patent.
- Can communicate with their peers - be able to explain the outcome of their research and value thereof to the research community.
- Takes ownership for and manages own career progression, sets realistic and achievable career goals, identifies and develops ways to improve employability.
- Understands the agenda of industry and other related employment sectors.
- Understands the value of their research work in the context of products and services from industry and other related employment sectors.
- Can communicate with the wider community and with society generally, about their areas of expertise.
- Can be expected to promote, within professional contexts, technological, social or cultural advancement in a knowledge based society.
- Can mentor First Stage Researchers, helping them to be more effective and successful in their R&D trajectory.
- Experience in computational modelling.
- Experience in acquiring and quantification of micro computed tomography data.
- Experience in organic chemistry or biochemistry.
- Experience in biocompatibility and safety studies.
- Experience in fluorescent microscopy and other cell imaging technologies.
BENEFITS, ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA, SELECTION PROCESS
EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND BENEFITS:
Postdocs will undergo yearly performance assessment related to their research activities (including: e.g. participation in BBCE training programmes, papers published, competitive funding applications submitted and funding attracted, supervision of students, technology transfer activities performed). Initially, a 2-year contract will be offered with a potential renewal for another 1 year. Contract involves full time job with 40 working hours per week with annual gross salary in range of €27.000 – €29.000. T he Postdoc annual gross salary will be subjected to all local taxes, social benefits and other deductions following the national regulations. If successful candidates will be eligible for election as scientific personnel of RTU, they will benefit 40 working day vacations annually. Health insurance must be covered by applicants themselves.
- Doctorate degree (PhD) holders, who have not yet established a significant level of independence.
- Applicant should demonstrate a systematic understanding of a field of study and mastery of research associated with that field (minimum 2 years of experience in the field).
- At least 3 high impact original research articles (minimum 2 as first author).
- Experience in implementation of scientific research projects.
- Experience in communication with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise.
- Experience on supervision/co-supervision of First Stage Researchers and students.
- Excellent/good oral and written English language skills (at minimum B2 level).
- Experience in team work.
SELECTION PROCESS FOR POSTDOCS
Candidates are asked to apply on-line indicating the group they are applying for position. The application must include:
- CV in English (Europass format, max. 5 pages, including list of publications).
- A motivation letter in English (max. 2 pages, indicating envisaged research groups and specifying the topic). Also the statement that applicant are eligible to apply for a work permission in Latvia should be included.
- Degree transcript (PhD).
- Two academic recommendation letters (the letters must be not older than 6 months, signed, they must contain a date and they must be on letterhead paper, and include the referees signature or official stamp).
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 21st, 2023 5.00 PM (CET).
For additional information please contact SFG1 Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Janis Locs (email@example.com), SFG2 Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Dagnija Loca (firstname.lastname@example.org), SFG3 Assoc. Prof., Dr.sc.ing. Arita Dubnika (email@example.com) and visit https://bbcentre.eu/news/open-positions-bbce-PostDoc and https://vkti.rtu.lv/?lang=en. The selection procedure will be based on two steps: the first step will consist on the screening of all applications received and on the selection of a shortlist of candidates based on CV, academic transcripts, motivation and relevance with the specific research project; the second step will consist of an interview (held in person or ZOOM), at the end of which successful candidates will be recruited.
When applying for a competition, the candidate agrees to the processing of his personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/95 / EC / 46 / EC.
/credits to the 1st picture http://clipart-library.com/clipart/teamwork-clipart-6.htm/